Digestive Disorders

Blood in Stool after drinking liquor

03/10/2003

Question:

I (23 years ole) have been experiencing bright red blood on the tolit paper after passing stool. However, the only times (3 times in 4 months) this has happened is the day after an evening of drinking liquor (not beer). I have read the quick answer to blood in the stool and am going to follow up with my doctor of course. Will this specific situation of occurance help the doctor in determining the cause? Or is it somehow coincidence?

Answer:

I am not aware of any specific lower GI (colon or rectum) bleeding problem that is known to be precipitated by drinking alcohol, but it may not be a coincidence, either. Alcohol is an irritant and may thus cause any type of lesion to bleed. However its main site of irritation is usually in the stomach or upper GI tract. The type of bleeding you describe indicates the source is in the lower part of the colon or rectum.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

John D Long, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine