Exercise and Fitness

Stopping smoking

03/31/2003

Question:

have just stopped smoking 7 weeks ago.i was a very heavy smoker,im not having a problem keeping off them but have put on 9 lbs.i have always worked out and am doing up to five hours a week,so i dont understand how its crept on.should i up my exercise or watch what i eat more.im 29.

Answer:

Congratulations on quitting smoking. Many people tend to gain weight after quitting smoking. However, the combination of proper diet and exercise will help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. You mention that you are exercising five hours a week, but I am not sure what type of exercise you are performing. In general, a well rounded exercise program should consist of cardiovascular conditioning, muscular strength, and flexibility. I would look forward to hearing back from you with more details about your current exercise program. Best of luck to you, and congratulations once again! 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley