Lupus

Do I have lupus or not?

05/22/2003

Question:

I have a rash on my legs and know on my arms and other part of my body. It is very itchy I went to a doctor he didn`t know what it was and so I am going to skin specilaist. I have had this rash since about novemer and it has gotten worse. the tip open up from all itchi ng I do. How can I tell if this is lupus or not? What does the rashes look like? thanks

Answer:

In contrast to many other diseases, lupus involves many different organs of the body and thus, it results in symptoms or physical findings related to many organs. At present, we use a collection of symptoms, sings and blood tests to make a diagnosis of lupus. We call this collection of clinical features the American College of Rheumatology diagnostic criteria for SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). Since the itchy rash that you describe can occur in a large number of diseases, it is difficult to make a diagnosis without examining the patient. Any way, you are doing the right thing, i.e., to see a skin specialist. If your condition remains undiagnosed and persistent, you may see a rheumatologist who specializes in lupus as well as in other rheumatic diseases. 

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Ram Raj   Singh, MD Ram Raj Singh, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine