Exercise and Fitness

Working out bring blood pressure low

07/29/2003

Question:

I have low blood pressure of 95/60. It was 100/60. I work out everyday for at least 1 hr I go to the track and come home to do aerobics. My sit up-s etc.. But, my question is would all that work out bring my blood pressure down. If so is that bad for your health.

Answer:

Regular aerobic training tends to reduce both systolic (top number) and diastolic (bottom number) blood pressure during rest and submaximal aerobic exercise. The largest decreases occur in systolic pressure and are most apparent in hypertensive individuals. Respiratory function also improves as a result of submaximal aerobic training. This adaptation is helpful in prolonged exercise because more oxygen is made available to the working muscles. If you are experiencing any symptoms (lightheadedness, etc.) as a result of low blood pressure or have further questions, I recommend consulting with your personal physician. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley