Exercise and Fitness

Severe leg pain long after a leg cramp

07/25/2003

Question:

I know that there have been numerous questions referring to leg cramps but my cramps are rare(specifically in my calves)but when I do get a leg cramp it typically strains the muscle so bad that I have trouble walking on it for days (the cramp ALWAYS happens during my sleep and wakes me up). Recently, however, I have not had any cramps but my calf muscle is feeling as if I did. I drink PLENTY of water, I take a daily multivitamin, I stretch daily (regardless of whether I exercise), and I eat reasonably. The feeling of a pulled leg muscle still has not subsided. Is this a common problem or could I have strained the muscle so badly that it is not "healing" properly? Is it possibel that I had a leg cramp at night that I did not wake up to? I try several stretches and have been hurting so badly that I have someone rub an "icy hot" type substance on it and massage it to alleviate the pain. Is there anything else I should do to help this or do you think that I should see a doctor?

Answer:

Since you have been following the guidelines to lessen the occurrence of leg cramps, I would recommend discussing your situation with your personal physician. Are you able to associate the timing of muscle soreness with certain activities performed?

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley