Braces

Jaw Surgery

08/21/2003

Question:

I am 22 years old and need to have jaw surgery to fix my bite. My front teeth do not touch and one side of my jaw is longer than the other. When I was younger, I visited an orthodontist who did not know what to do because I have a very unusual bite. He said I have "no bite." I never got this fixed because of money problems. It has made me very self conscious and it keeps me from smiling. I would do anything now to fix this but I do not know where to begin. I don`t have any insurance. Is there an approximate cost on having this surgery for a very severe jaw?

Answer:

If you have no insurance and have been told that you need jaw surgery I think it would be very difficult because the hospital portion of the bill is enormous. Having said that I would recommend that you visit a Dental Program at a university near you for an evaluation and see if there is another alternative. Sometimes with braces there is another option. You may also find the links at the bottom of the page helpful.

American Dental Association - Find a Dentist
Find a State Dental Organization

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry