Breast Feeding

She`ll only take one breast

08/12/2003

Question:

I have been breastfeeding my two month in a half daughter since she`s been born and lately I`ve been noticing that she want suck my right breast. So I was just wondering has my right breast dried up?

Answer:

Milk production is based on demand. If your daughter nurses frequently you will make more milk in that breast, than if you daughter does NOT nurse that breast. If your daughter completely stops nursing on the right side, you will eventually stop producing milk on the right side. A question to ask is why has she quit nursing on the right side. The presence of an ear infection will often result in an infant suddenly refusing to nurse on one side. Her health care provider can diagnose an ear infection. Does the left side let down quicker? If so, she may prefer the left because she get immediate milk, and doesn’t need to wait. You could try nursing on the left side, and after your milk has let down on the right side, put her to the right side. Many infants don’t like a particular nursing position. So try placing her at the right breast in a variety of positions. Another positioning “trick” is to remove her from the left breast, and slide her to the right, so that she remains in the same position. This usually works best if she’s sleepy, and the room is dark. Another technique is to distract your daughter during nursing. If you usually sit in a quiet room, change that. Walk around, and have some different music playing. You can supply ALL of your daughter’s nutritional needs through nursing on one breast. So don’t stop her nursing, just because she will take only one side.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing