Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Felty`s Syndrome and Mixed Connective Tissue



My internist has told me that it is probable I have Felty`s Syndrome or Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder. I find very little information on this. Can you tell me how it is diagnosed, what the treatment is, what the prognosis is, and how to find out more about it?

Thank you


Felty`s Syndrome and Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder are different diagnostic entities. The first one (Felty`s) occurs in people having rheumatoid arthritis usually for a long time, and the second one (Mixed ..) is diagnosed when people have symptoms and signs related to more than one connective tissue disease (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, poly/dermatomyositis). Certain laboratory tests can further help to differentiate between the two. Before getting into these details, you should have your rheumatologist do further clinical and laboratory work up to differentiate between the two. You can also obtain further information on these diseases at `www.arthritis.org`, the website for the Arthritis Foundation. The website also has a 1-800 number which you can call to get brochure on these diseases and further information. There are chapters of this organization in most major cities and towns around the country. Cincinnati has a chapter - called Ohio River Valley Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation. 

For more information:

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Ram Raj   Singh, MD Ram Raj Singh, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati