Nerve in gum

09/05/2003

Question:

My brother is continuously having pain in his right lower gum, upper gum and nose. The nerve is going up into is his nose and mouth and sometimes is causing him to have a slight headache., He can not sleep at night due to the pain.

He has been on antibotics and nothing seems to help on a long time basics. The medicine will take down the swelling; however, it does not take away the pain.

What type of Doctor would you suggest that he see? He has been to Oral Surgeon and a Dentist! They ran a CAT scan but the young physican could not tell him anything. He was not able to talk to his regular physician.

Any help or direction that we can direct him to would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Thanks for you challenging question. I can not offer much more assistance. You appear to already have received second and perhaps third opinions and had some good diagnostic evaluation completed. I will not even begin to guess what a diagnosis could be - that is too hard and would be very professionally inappropriate and bad for you to have me do so. Therefore I suggest you might try these options:

1. Consult a second or even third oral surgeon(s).

2. Have an MRI done (it gives different information than a CT).

3. Consult an oral pathologist or oral medicine specialist at a dental school closed to your home.

4. Consult a neurologist since the problem involves nerves.

Daniel E Jolly, BA, DDS, FAAHD, FACD, FAGD Daniel E Jolly, BA, DDS, FAAHD, FACD, FAGD
Former Professor of Clinical Dentistry