Complementary Medicine

What Supplements Can Help Treat Acoustic Neuroma Tumor?

08/29/2003

Question:

I know someone who is keeping track of the growth of his acoustic neuroma because he can not decide on a treatment. The treatments are considered successful if they only stop growth of the tumor. In your Miracle Brain, Jean Carper recommended doses of Vitamins C and E beyond the minimum daily requirement. Supplements of lipoic acid, Q10 and Lycopene also seemed worthwhile at high doses to get rid of free radicals. She wrote that supplementing with fish oil or flaxseed oil helps offset an excess of 6-omega fatty acids in the ordinary diet that leads to inflammation and production of free radicals. The National Cancer Society has recommended eating vegetables high in sulfur. Would it be worthwhile for someone with acoustic neuromato cut down on intake of refined sugars and to supplement his diet with the items in the above paragraph? Might this program of eating slow the growth of the tumor by elimination of free radicals, or might it increase the growth by providing the tumor with added nutrients?

Answer:

The dietary change is a great idea! I often recommend that for patients to prevent illness, as well as to slow the damage of a current illness. We have so much more information on free radicals and diseases now. It seems like these things are the root of all evil!! All that aside, I don`t know if it will slow the growth of the acoustic neuroma, but it is definitely worth a try. Stop all refined sugar and flour. Avoid any sources of animal fat and trans-fats at all costs. Supplement with flaxseed or fish oil to the tune of 4000mg of Omega-3 fatty acids per day. Eat as many raw or steamed fruits and vegetables per day as possible. Vitamin C 500mg twice daily, and Vitamin E 400-800 units daily are good choices. Lipoic acid, CoQ10, and lycopenes are all good antioxidants, but with the proper nutrition, you should be getting these from your food. Take a multivitamin and mineral supplement. If it doesn`t slow the growth of the acoustic neuroma, it may be preventing the growth of other tumors, cancers, and many other serious diseases associated with aging. I wish ALL my patients would do this! 

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine