Gynecology

No Menstration for 3 months/Not Pregnant?

10/17/2003

Question:

I am a bit concerned...I have had some strange cycles for several months. My last real Period was April. In May I spotted for 3 weeks - was dark brown/black. In June I didn`t have a period, in July I had one for two days ending 07/17 - since then I have not had any spotting or period - it`s October 15 - I have seen a dr. and taken several pregancy tests - all same I am not pregnant - I have been tested for std`s and I have none- My dr. said this can happen, but I`m 25 and have never experienced this before. I do experience a lot of dizziness and I still feel the cramping that comes with menstration on occasion- I am not taking any medication at this time, and not experiencing any overwhelming stress - Can you please tell me what is going on with my body?

Answer:

There are other causes such as over/underactive thyroid or other hormonal imbalances that can cause a loss of cycles. Stress (both physical or emotional) as well as large changes in weight can cause cycles to cease. There are many women for whom this occurs without a solid explanation. The most important thing is to rule out the known causes and then treat to resume normal cycles or obtain pregnancy. 

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education