Menopause

Hot flashes remedies and when do they end?

11/05/2003

Question:

How can I help my frequent hot flashes from occurring? What herbal remedies are there? Is`black cobash good? Why am I stillgetting hot flashes 1 year after not getting my period?

Answer:

Hot flashes are highly variable from woman to woman. Some women do not have any hot flashes (one in four). The other women have them in different quantities and different intensities. We cannot predict how long a woman will have hot flushes. For some women, they last a few months, for others a few years, and some women have an occasional one forever. The usual pattern of hot flushes is to get less frequent over time and to become milder in their intensity. Most women find that they become manageable or disappear entirely. There are a number of practical measures that can be used: - Dress in layers so that when you are in a warm environment, you can take off a sweater or a jacket. - Avoid sitting under bright lights or in the sunlight - Avoid getting too warm in bed; wear cotton night clothes, avoid comforters - practice the techniques of slow, deep breathing and relaxation - exercise - triggers for hot flashes in some women include stress, alcoholic beverages, hot/spicy foods - some women find soy foods or black cohosh helpful; we do not yet have strong data in this area

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology