Obesity and Weight Management

Stomach stapling

01/13/2004

Question:

there are many questions that I have about the (stomach stapling) surgery. I am hoping that you will be able to help me. For example what happens to the skin after you loose all the weight after the stomach is stapled?. What kind of diet will she have to be on after the surgery?. How long is the procedure?. Also how long will the patient be in the hospital after the surgery?. Last question how long is the recooperation process after this?.

Answer:

1. There will be excess skin. The majority of weight loss occurs in the first 12-15 months after which, plastic surgical procedures can be explored for excision of the excess skin.

2. Patients are placed on a pureed diet for one month following surgery and then gradually begin to introduce non-pureed foods.

3. The procedure takes on average between 2 and 2 1/2 hours, but each patient is different and operating times may vary.

4. Patients are usually in the hospital for 2-3 days and the recuperation time is 4-6 weeks.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Keith S Gersin, MD Keith S Gersin, MD
Assistant Professor,
Director, Surgical Endoscopy and Laparoscopy