Infertility

BBT and Luteal Phase question

01/05/2004

Question:

I am 28 years old and went off the pill about 5 months ago after 8 years of use. My cycle has been erratic since going off the pill. I have tried charting my BBT and it is highly variable: 96.6 one day, 97.0 the next and back to 96.6. Whith such variation it is difficult to determine when I am ovulating. Should this low and variable a BBT be of concern? Frustrated with the BBT method, I used an ovulation test predictor kit last month and determined my luteal phase lasted only 9 days. Could this still be related to going off the pill? Since learning all this information I have become very anxious about possible infertility. I know stress can affect ovulation, could it also affect luteal phase lenth?

Answer:

Basal body temperature charts are fequently frustrating just as you described. The use of the ovulation detection kit is a good alternative, and if there is a detectable spike in the urine LH (lutenizing hormone), that is a good sign.

Even under ideal circumstances, a couple only has a 15% chance of becoming pregnant in a given cycle. If, after a few more months, you are unsuccessful, see a physician who can try a variety of other tests to confirm if you are ovulating and that your partner has normal sperm.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology