Pregnancy

15 weeks pregnant with worsening nausea

01/27/2004

Question:

I am 15 weeks pregnant, and over the last 3 weeks my nausea has worsened. At 11 weeks I could walk for 2 or 3 hours and feel nothing more than tired and slightly nauseated, but now I can only walk for 30 minutes. After this I have to lie down and often feel very sick and shaky. I have also vomited several times, which did not happen before 12 weeks.

I fully understand that nausea can last longer than 15 weeks, even the whole pregnancy, but I have not heard of it worsening so noticably after 12. I called the Obs office, who told me this was normal. However a doctor friend told me it isn`t and could represent a urinary infection (even though I have no other symptoms). Who should I believe? I am very concerned, even though an ultrasound at 12 weeks showed that the fetus was doing fine.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Answer:

Nausea and vomiting can wax and wane through the first and early second trimester. These symptoms usually improve after 12 weeks but not always. An ultrasound showing the fetus is well is very reassuring and the concern may be more for your well-being (comfort, nutrition) than the fetus`. I encourage you to bring this to the attention of your OB at your next visit. Should you get dizzy, light headed or pass out, I would contact the office immediately.

Go to the Pregnancy health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology