Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Medication for ADHD

02/13/2004

Question:

What is the most common age that you can find adhd in a child? Would you be able to tell by time she is 5. How could I get a appointment to come out to meet with Mary A. Fristad to have her evaluate my grandaughter which I am the guardian of? If the child has ADHD what age can they start taking medications for it, and are the medications safe and is strattora a safe drug for them among the other medications or which drug is the most recommended? please imform me if I would be able to meet with the specialist in ohio thank you

Answer:

ADHD is difficult to diagnose under 6 but it is certainly done in specialty centers. The youngest I have worked with so far is four years old. Regarding recommendations and safety of medications---. Different physicians have different preferences. I tend to agree with the American Academy of Pediatrics when it comes to children. That is, I use one of the stimulants first, another stimulant if the first is not right, then I may try a third stimulant or try atomoxetine (Strattera). Atomoxetine has looked quite safe for the year its been on the market and the 4-5 years it has been studied but the stimulants have been used in children for over 45 years and I like that track record more. Let me know if I can help.

Contact information for Dr. Fristad can be found below.

Mary A. Fristad

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine