Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Mouth pain

04/06/2004

Question:

Dear Sirs: In lieu of the program you have provided for us lay people it is much appreciated. The illness that I have been plagued with is the right side of my mouth location in the upper and lower teeth have been more pain than I`ve ever felt at times than I could handle; more so when cold water etc.. I however have also been experiencing hearing lost for some years and as of the past two years have been trying to wear earing aidsby prescription of which I do not wish up on anyone! I also have been experincing ringing in the ear`s and at and during this peroid of some 3 to 4 week`s the right ear hurts alot! I have been to the provider with the Veteran`s Hospital and the dentist after consulting have had 6 Ex-Rays and also 3 sinsus Ex=Rays to try to pin point the problems v/s the unbarrible pain that I am experiencing of which seems to be at a lost with the provider. I have been taking medication prescribed CODINE/300mg and DICLOFENAC/75mg for any relief if at all. I can not explain how miserable this problem has developed into a critical situation and again the Dentist has or seemly to be most complexed as to treatment and I would welcome any professional advise as to what do we do from this point!!!!!!!!!

Patience Awaiting in PAIN!

Answer:

This problem requires referral to an Orofacial Pain Clinic for a thorough and proper diagnosis. I recommend the Pain Clinic at the University of Washington in Seattle, School of Dentistry.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Abdel Rahim   Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD Abdel Rahim Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD
Clinical Professor of Geriatrics