Why does my left eye water all the time?

04/29/2004

Question:

I am at a stand still right now and its really aggrevating. My left eye waters all the time. I had the tear duct irrigation procedure done, then the doctor tried botox. Nothing has seemed to work! My eye has been watery for over 2 years now! I did have 2 radioactive iodine treatments done and I heard that my eye situation could be caused from that, but the eye doc doesn`t seem to think so. I don`t know what to do or who to see now, but I`m so upset about this whole thing. I was outside planting flowers this past weekend and my eye was dripping into my flowers. What should I do??

Answer:

If your tear duct irrigation procedure showed no blockage, then you may be a candidate for a minor eyelid operation that aligns the puncta (the holes in your nasal lid margins through which the tears drain) better with your eyeball. But if your tear duct irrigation procedure showed blockage, then you may need to have a small tube placed inside your nasal lid margins. Either of these surgeries can be performed by an ophthalmologist with special training in oculo-plastic surgery.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry