Hemophilia and Inherited Bleeding Disorders

FACTOR IX

04/29/2004

Question:

I have two boys who have both inherited a mild factor nine deficiency. If my spouse and i decide to have another child should we have the child tested regardless of wether the child is symptomatic or not? And does the severity of the problem usually follow suit with inheritance or is the severity just circumstantial.

Answer:

If you have another child, that child will have a 50:50 chance of being affected by the factor nine deficiency.  A boy would have a 50:50 chance of having the same factor nine deficiency as your other two sons.  A girl would have a 50:50 chance of being a "carrier", and about 20% of carrier females have a mild factor nine deficiency themselves.

Persons with mild factor nine deficiency often do not have symptoms unless they experience trauma or an invasive procedure such as surgery or dental extractions.  It would be recommended that all of your children be tested so that if an injury occurred or surgery was necessary you could take precautions to prevent any complications that might result from prolonged bleeding.

The severity of the factor nine deficiency usually is the same for all affected males within the same family.  So all males in the family would most likely be mild.  Most "symptomatic female carriers" have mild deficiencies as well.

Go to the Hemophilia and Inherited Bleeding Disorders health topic, where you can:

Madeline Heffner, BSN, RN
Nurse Coord.