Vascular Surgery

Varicose vein surgery

06/16/2004

Question:

I had a surgery done on my both legs in 4/3/04 and the doc removed a very important vein on each leg(interior part) from my groin all the way down to my feet. I really never had any big problems with it except estetics point of view. What are the possible reasons that made the doc do that? I know I should know before the surgery but, it was done in Brasil (South America) what is a very popular procedure; I mean, "any problem, remove it! . Every time I asked him why, his answer is that I was a very good candidate for bigger problems in the future, like blood clots for example. I`am already feeling the results of what he did. When I stand up I can see veins that I never saw before and in my point of view, that means others veins are trying to compensate for the one "big one missing" Please tell me the possible reasons since I never had any pain, swelling or other problem. Thank you very much

Answer:

The vein removed was likely the greater saphenous vein. This is done when patients have symptoms (pain, heaviness of the leg at the end of the day) from varicose veins or are concerned about the cosmetic appearance of their legs. It is a standard accepted treatment which is performed commonly in the U.S. as well for varicose veins. The "big one" as you mention, is actually still present deep inside your leg and to carry blood from your leg back to the heart. The vein which was removed is one that is removed not only for varicose veins, but also used for leg and heart bypass surgery, and is not a vein you need. If you are seeing additional veins pop up so soon after surgery, I would ask whether you wore compression stockings after surgery? (Necessary for 4-6 weeks after surgery) If these are spider veins, they could be injected if you don`t like the appearance. Be prepared to pay for this procedure however as insurance typically does not cover the cost. Best of luck!

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD