Identifying A Panic Attack

06/17/2004

Question:

I had an incident that happened to me while I was working and have not contacted my phyhsicianyet because I'm not sure what it is. I was at work and all of the sudden I got real light headed, my ears starting ringing, tingling in my lips, and i felt as if i was going to pass out. Also, my face, neck, and ears got blood red and my head felt like it was going to explode. It last only a few minutes, but happened again about 30 minutes later, and that too was only a few minutes long. But, my face,neck, and ears stayed red for several hours. I do work night shift and am currently only taking prescription water pills. I have been taking them for years. Please tell me if you think this might have been a panic attack. It scared me bad enough that I thought I was dying. Please answer as soon as possible. Thank you

Answer:

It certainly sounds like it could be a panic attack.  Much of what you describes can occur in a panic attack.  I encourage you to look at weblinks to read more about panic and anxiety.  In addition, you would probably benefit from an evaluation from your primary care doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

anxiety disorders of america
NIH NIMH anxiety