Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Alzheimer's Disease

Helping Someone with Alzheimer's Disease



I have a customer that has been told she has Alzheimer's disease by her doctors. I work for a bank and I know that she has been taken advantage of with her account by a number of “Contractors” helping her with her house. Unfortunately, I have watched her account continue to dwindle down. I know these people are taking total advantage of her and I do not know where to go to get help. She has no family and I cannot continue to let this happen to her and as her banker I need some kind of direction. Should I contact the police or the district Attorney? Where do I go to help her? She has gone through a large sum of money in the past few months and does not recall what checks she has written. Please help me.


You are to be commended for you concern for a vulnerable older adult. I would recommend that you contact the local authorities such as the police department, and/or Adult Protective Services department. Adult Protective Services is an agency that all communities generally have to protect older adults from exploitation and abuse. 

For more information:

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Paula K Ogrocki, PhD Paula K Ogrocki, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University