Seeking Help For Depression

08/05/2004

Question:

My aunt is really depressed all the times whenever she`s alone. She feel the need to cry and she throws everything. She`s so depressed but whenever she talks to her loved ones she's hapy and more healthy. She has a big family of 18 people but, how can this work if she always need ssomeone to talk with her especially for her loved ones. Please give me the solution.

Answer:

It certainly sounds like your aunt could be depressed, but she might also have some medical problems going on as well.  I recommend you encourage her to visit her primary care physician for a check up, to make sure everything is OK.  She should tell the doctor about her feelings, and her crying spells as well.  Depression is a real medical illness that is treatable, so don't delay - help your aunt get a check up soon.

She might also benefit from having a counselor to talk to about issues that are bothering her. 

Good luck.