Hair Loss

08/16/2004

Question:

I`ve been loosing alot of hair lately, it falls in bunches, it`s scary I feel like I`m going bald. I can see the roots of all the hair lost. Will it grow back? Is there anything I can use to help it grow back and not fall out anymore, or less?

Answer:

There is a condition called "stress alopecia" which refers to the loss of hair after stressful life situations.  Usually these are more physical stresses, like a pregnancy, a serious or prolonged illness, significant weight loss, etc.  The hair does grow back -- its just that more hair shifts into "fall out" phase than "growing" phase than usually occurs.  Eventually, all these hairs shift back into growing phase again.

If you are haven't already, you should contact your physician for a check up to make sure something like a thyroid disorder or other illness is not contributing to this problem.

Good luck.