Symptoms of Panic and Anxiety Attacks

08/30/2004

Question:

Can panic attacks and anixety attacks bring on problems like numbness in the face, eyes jerking or twitching and jaw pain I was told that the other day in and ER room I just don`t know. It is driving me crazy, I don`t know whether to think that or a slight stroke cause my arms and my left fingers to hurt all day. I just don`t know what to do. I guess it could be sinus problems too. I guess I just want to see what you all thought please let me here something.

Answer:

Panic and anxiety attacks can certainly bring on physical symptoms, or make physical symptoms from other causes much more severe.  Common physical problems include increased heart rate, rapid breathing, chest pain, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness and headaches.  The rapid breathing (or hyperventilation) can in turn lead to numbness and tingling, especially of the hands, feet and face, abdominal pain and even muscle spasms and twitches.

I cannot diagnose over the internet, so I encourage you to see your primary care physician, who can work with you to find the cause of your problems.  Anxiety is certainly a possibility.

Good Luck.