Seeking Help for Multiple Disorders

08/30/2004

Question:

I suffer from depression, stress, anxiety, ADD. It is effecting everyone I know, I can`t find the right treatment for me, I can`t afford to pay to go anywhere, and I really need help, what to do?

Answer:

Almost every community has mental health resources available to low-income or uninsured people.  Unfortunately, these resources can sometimes be hard to find, and take a lot of diligence on your part working through a complicated system, which, of course, is hard to do when you are feeling well, and even more difficult when you are ill with depression and anxiety.

A place to start looking is with you primary care physician -- he or she will know many of the resources in your community and can guide you to them.  Often the county or city health department can guide you to resources.  Look up mental health services in the phone book, as well, and make some phone calls.

You definitely need help, and I encourage you to keep going.  There is an effective treatment for you, but you need to persist until you find it.

Good luck.