High Blood Pressure

Grief and hypertension

I have a question that is a bit unusual and I doubt there have been studies done on it, but do you know if there is a specific, direct correlation between continuing grief over a loved one`s death and raised blood pressure? Not just immediately after, but for months or even years after?

There are no studies that have examined grief and high blood pressure, but there is a link between prolonged stress and high blood pressure.  Studies have shown that air traffic controllers who work under a lot of psychological stress are at greater risk for hypertension than other people with the same physical characteristics.  Moving from a rural area to a big city as been shown to increase blood pressure, as has chronic exposure to noise.

Grief is a form of stress, and is appears quite possible that it can induce hypertension.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section