Vascular Surgery

Vascular issue in arm an enigma

10/15/2004

Question:

I had an infiltration of an iv site in my hand just after delivering my baby. Within a wek I had developed 4-5 small lumps on the back of my hand, and now 8 weeks later there are approximately 10 more small lumps traveling up my arm along my vein. Initially these were tender, but no longer hurt although their size and number has not decreased. (size of a small pea) I have seen a vascular surgeon who did an ultrasound revealing that these lumps are just under the skin and not in my vein, but rather on it. My surgeon is baffled--any ideas as to what is going on?

Answer:

Congratulations on the birth of your child!

You may have developed thrombophlebitis which is an inflammation which can occur along the vein. Occasionally these areas can become firm and develop into what we call phleboliths or calcified areas of the vein, though it would be awfully early for that to occur. In any event, both are relatively harmless. I suspect your body is still recovering from the infiltration which took place. I would suspect things would resolve in the next 6-8 weeks. If not, please follow up with your physician.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD