Prostate Cancer

Artificial Urinary Sphincter

10/28/2004

Question:

Thank you for your answer on Restoring Potency. I was hoping there was some help other than artificial help, as we here about specialists reattaching men`s penis and saving nerves from severed fingers etc. Could you let me know what is the latest/best procedure for an artificial urinary sphincter? Where is the best known hospital/specialist that performs this procedure with the best results? I have been told that this procedure is temporary and the sphincter has to be replaced every so many years? Also, due to the surgery of the prostatectomy, I have been told that they can no longer insert a cathader. Will they have to insert a cathadre and can they at least repair this at the same time that they insert a sphincter? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am desparate and the doctors I see never seem to be able to give me straight answers. Thank you.

Answer:

Artificial sphincters are well made today, and replacement with time is typically not necessary.  The procedure can be performed by a Board Certified urologist, and a listing of these physicians can be found in your local library or medical society.  Catheterization may be necessary with the surgery but it would be temporary.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology