Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Decubitus Ulcers



I`m 47 and have a c7-t1 compound fracture; border line Quad. I have two chronic decubiti. My wound care physicians(surgeons) always do sharp debridement even on granulation tissue. Could you recomend an alternative form of maintenance debridement? Preferably more selective, like cologenase.


It is difficult to know exactly what to do without seeing the wound. However, there are topical treatments for mildly degranulating tissue that do not require debridement, such as Telfa dressing, silver nitrate, or even topical steroids. You should see a physiatrist to ascertain the best options based on your case.

Jonathan Strayer, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor
Cincinnati Veterans Affairs Medical Center; Drake Center
Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati

For more information:

Go to the Rehabilitation health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Stephen J Page, PhD Stephen J Page, PhD
Director of Research, Associate Professor
Drake Center
University of Cincinnati