Breast Feeding

Exclusivley pumping for adopted baby.

11/12/2004

Question:

It has been 14 months since I have nursed. I am going to supply milk for an adopted baby that will be induced in 2 weeks. (Nov. 30) I have the Medela Pump in style BP.

Is there anything I can do to speed the process up? HERBS? How much do I take? Thank you!

Answer:

What a challenge you have!

Usually to induce lactation they like to place you in a pregnancy state with increased levels of estrogen and progesterone, for at least three months

Unfortunately you do not have that much time.

In order to establish lactation you will need a more efficient pump. The pump (In Style) that you have is good for supporting lactation, but not to initiate lactation. You should look at renting a higher grade pump such as a Classic, or Symphony (check with you local medical supply rental stores for these, or a local hospital). You should pump at least every three hours (a minimum of 8 times in 24 hours, and never go more than 4 hours, even at night)

The use of herbs such as fenugreek is effective in building your supply, but does not seem to have much effect when trying to establish lactation.

Medications may sometimes be used. You could talk to your personal health care provider about the use of Reglan for initiating lactation. Reglan has many side effects, and before using this medication you should be fully aware of all of them.

When you get your new baby be sure to nurse at least every three hours. Also use an S and S (supplemental nursing system) so the baby will nurse longer, and not get frustrated.

Good luck!!

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing