Diet and Nutrition

LifeScript Vitamins

11/16/2004

Question:

I recently joined a site called ediets.com. I am using it to try and regulate what and when I eat. That piece seems to be helping as it ecourages me to eat smaller meals several times a day (3 meals 2 snacks). It also helps with the types of food, etc. At any rate it also had an option for vitamins to help boost energy, etc. I received lifescript vitamins (lifescript.com) in the mail as a part of this package. Do you know if taking these vitamins is OK? Should I be concerned before starting them in any way? They offer a daily pack that contains 8 vitamins. Thanks...

Answer:

Thanks for your question.  Online diet and weight loss web sites (such as ediets.com) have become very popular and have a good success rate.

As for the vitamins you have purchased, there is likely nothing wrong with them except possibly the cost and excessive amount of nutrients they contain.  Typically, a decent vitamin (such as One a Day or Centrum) will cost ~ $ 8-15 for a 90 day supply.  I could not find out the cost on lifescript without putting in a profile (which I did not wish to do).

Secondly, when looking for a vitamin/mineral supplement, it is wise to look for one that provides not more than 100% of the RDAs for most nutrients.  Some vitamins and minerals can be toxic in high doses (even water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin C, niacin and B6).  Since you will also be consuming nutrients in the foods you eat, it is unlikely you will need additional nutrients unless your diet is extremely restrictive (i.e. limits dairy products, meat or other food groups).  I could not find out the levels of nutrients in lifescript vitamins, so take a look at the label.  Be concerned if the RDA in your vitamin/mineral supplement is higher than needed in iron, zinc, vitamins A, D and K, B6 and niacin.  The UL (upper tolerable limit) of nutrients can be found on the web site below. 

Finally, there is not a concern with when you start taking a vitamin, as long as you don't exceed the recommended dose.  So, taking 2/day vs 1/day (as directed) is not beneficial and may actually be harmful or toxic.  I hope this information was helpful.

www.crnusa.org/about_recs.html

Go to the Diet and Nutrition health topic, where you can:

Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
Adjunct Faculty