Breast Feeding

Breast feeding & similac milk

12/14/2004

Question:

I am a working mother i have to go back to my work within one month already my baby is one month old so i want to use similac (green) +the breast feed i want to know what is the scheduale of the breast feed &the similac milk because i have to keep my baby with the house-made during my absence , so i want to try the sheduale before i start my wark again .

Answer:

Breastfeeding is a wonderful start for your new baby. Just because you are returning to work does not mean that you need to give your baby artificial breast milk (similac or any other form).

When you are away from your baby your baby can be given breast milk in a bottle by someone else. To do this you should start pumping your breast so that you will have a supply of milk when you return to work. You will need a breast pump. An electric breast pump is easy and fairly quick at emptying the breast during the work day. (an electric pump is usually available for rent; you can try a local hospital or medical supply company) You may also manually express milk. Breast milk should be stored in a safe manner. This means storing it in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours. If you will not use the milk during that time you should freeze it. Frozen breast milk lasts 2 weeks in the freezer inside a refrigerator. If the freezer is separate from the refrigerator it will last 3 months, and 6 months if in a deep freeze. When storing milk store and freeze in small amounts, so that breast milk will not be wasted. When thawing breast milk NEVER put it in the microwave. Thaw by running under cool water, and gradually add warm water until the breast milk is thawed. Once the milk is thawed shake to mix the separated milk. Then feed the baby with a bottle. Babies who are breast fed often do not take a bottle well from their mother. They are able to smell the breast milk, and want to nurse. It is often easier to have someone else give the bottle to baby. Remember that taking a bottle is different than nursing so the baby may not like the feel of the nipple in its mouth, and may refuse to suck initially. It may require some patience to get the baby taking a bottle without difficulty.

If you should decide that you do not want to pump your breast when at work, you may feed your baby artificial milk when you are away from her, and breastfeed the rest of the time. On the weekends or your days off it is good to nurse for each feeding so that you can keep your milk supply up. If you are going to give your baby artificial milk you should start getting your baby use to the nipple and the taste of the artificial milk prior to returning to work. It will often times require some patience in getting a breastfed baby to take a bottle with something it has not had before.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Donna   Dowling, PhD,RN Donna Dowling, PhD,RN
Associate Professor of Nursing
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing