Infectious Diseases

Is it easy to miss Lyme disease?

My healthy young daughter was a camp counselor in MN for a summer and went straight to college from there. A month or so later she "had the flu", then she got a bout of Mononucleosis that lasted 9 months, she rested a lot over the summer, went back to school and got sick again. They are calling it a super virus, but I wonder if I should have her tested for Lyme disease. They ruled out a relapse of mono, now her spleen is enlarged and she is exhausted and achy most of the time. It`s been over a year and she just isn`t better, she`s losing the fight mode.

Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria which is transmitted to humans by ticks.  There are lyme-carrying ticks in Minnesota.  A good resource can be found at the following website: 

Lyme testing is not always reliable (there can be false positive tests) so I would suggest you discuss this with your daughter's physician.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Peter Grubbs, MD