Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Groin Pain/Erectile Dysfunction

12/27/2004

Question:

Hello, I believe I have damaged my pudendal nerve through excessive sitting and some ill-advised weightlifting. I don`t cycle, but I believe I have the same problem cyclists get. I have a persistent crawling feeling on my scrotum, progressively worsening, intense pain between my legs and in my perineum, severe constipation/rectal discomfort, the inability to get an erection, and a total inability to ejaculate. I have seen three general practitioners and two urologists. I have been tested extensively for non-nerve problems, I have tried antibiotics, nothing has worked. If I do have a pudendal nerve problem, is it possible the damage is irreversible? Is there anything I should do to get over this, or will it resolve itself? Will I need surgery or injections? Will I ever regain my sexual functioning? I had the problem once before for three months and by avoiding sitting, it seemed to go away basically for six months. Now, in the past month, it has come back with even worse symptoms. I`m quite desparate at this point. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

This problem that you are describing may be similar to biking using the wrong seat, though I am not sure of the mechanism in your case. This problem seems to be partially reversible, but takes a long time, well over 3 months with the bikers. 

Stop the offending exercise for at least 3 months. You need to see a neurologist to have an EMG of the area.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology