Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Alternative Methods for Treating Suspected ADD

01/19/2005

Question:

My son is in 2nd grade and has a suspected diagnosis of ADD by the school psychologist. He is very inattentive and easily distracted in both instructional settings and independent work time. He is also very forgetful in daily activities and has difficulties organizing tasks. He does not follow through on instructions and is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort such as school work and homework. He has been given extra time to complete homework, tests, etc..., location in class room to minimize distractions,earphones, study carrels, for stress - stop look and listen, structured routine and prioritizing assignments. None of these things are working. His hand writing is either perfect or unreadable. He is very slow in doing homework, eating, getting dressed, etc.. He cries very easily, if confronted ,and is very emotional. He sleeps a good 11 hours a night. I have made an appointment with his PCP. The insurance has a $2000 deductible and will only pay 50% for mental health after the deductible. Do you have any suggestions of an alternative way he can be helped (a student based program or college)? My home is located on the west side of Cleveland in OH. Thank you for your help.

Answer:

Unfortunately, many insurance plans are highly inappropriate when it comes to financially supporting mental health---as if one can actually separate the mind from the body in medicine! Even those insurance companies that pay well for individual "mental" health visits often greatly limit who the providers are and/or how many visits one may have, often to the detriment of the child or adult in need of therapy.

I think the first place I would suggest you start is at Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital in Cleveland. Their URL address is below. I am not personally familiar with their services in neuropsychiatric illness but their overall reputation is excellent.

The best to you...

Rainbow Babies & Children's Psychiatry

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine