Pregnancy

Weight gain in butt and thighs.

01/21/2005

Question:

I am concerned about the weight gain that I`m experiencing in my thighs and butt. I understand why I would gain in my stomach and breasts but is there a physiological reason why I`m gaining in the two hardest places to lose it? I am 10 weeks pregnant and have already gained 7 pounds. I feel like I`m eating healthy and I exercise 3-5 days a week. What benefit is this type of weight gain to the baby?

Answer:

Weight gain during pregnancy is unique to the individual woman. Most pregnant women gain weight in their abdomen and breasts and some will gain it in their buttocks and thighs. There are many speculations of the reason women store extra fat in pregnancy and the most likely answer is evolution. Pregnancy requires a great deal of energy and women who were able to maintain good fat stores in pregnancy, especially when food may have been scarce, would have healthier children.

Go to the Pregnancy health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology