Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Treatment After First Dental Implant

02/21/2005

Question:

Three weeks ago I had one tooth removed and 2 implants next to it all at once in one hour and fifteen minutes. Since then I have been in a lot of pain, requiring me to take around the clock pain medicine AND taking 2 different antibiotics and 2 subsequent steroids treatment. I am told that I have an infection but the x-ray(the first one taken just after the surgery) looks good. How long should I expect this pain? How many more treatments of antibiotics and steroids should I agree to? Would it be good to remove the implants or the implant? If so, when should it be removed? The specialist also mentioned that the bone might have been perforated because the lower jaw might have a concave aspect to it? How will he confirm that? If it is the case how does it get fixed? This has been a terrible experience!

Answer:

An oral surgeon or periodontist with experience in placing dental implants should be consulted; however this probably requires an examination.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry