Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary Disorders

Bladder Stretch



My wife has been plaqued by an overactive bladder. She has tried medications such as Detrol, Oxybutinin, and Sanctura. These didn`t work. In addition, the recommended exercises to alleviate the situation haven`t been effective. Are there other options? Her doctor suggested a bladder stretching. What does this entail? Can the bladder constrict again, after the passage of time, following such a procedure?


Bladder stretching usually involves overdistending the bladder with water.  This is usually done under general anesthesia for it is painful.  You may want to have your wife seen by a physician with a special interest in voiding disorders - either a urologist or a gynecologist.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University