Newborn and Infant Care

Newborn twins and travelling

03/30/2005

Question:

I am pregnant with twins which are due May 12th (38 weeks). My husband is doing an ironman on June 25th in Idaho (I live in Virginia) and I really want to go. So, if the babies go to term they will be 5 weeks old when we plan to leave. If they are born earlier, they will be older, but obviously born prematurely.

What is your advice on whether we can take them on the plane or not? Thank you!

Answer:

Traveling with infants is always a challenge. Something you need to think about before you plan your trip. Will you be able to manage two infants and their belongings getting through the airport? On the plane? Will you be able to have them seated by you during the flight? How will you manage if both are crying at the same time? Will you be able to nurse both in the confines of the airplane seating? These are just some of the logistical issues you will need to deal with.

Additionally you should discuss the babies' ability to travel with their health care provider. One thing to remember is if the babies are premature, they have a greater risk for infections, than term babies. Airplanes are a good place to catch a cold. It is really best to see how your babies' health is when they are born, and make the decision in consultation with their health care provider who is aware of their unique health status.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing