Infectious Diseases

Possible STD Herpes or just worry?

04/18/2005

Question:

I had a one night stand with someone I just met. I used a condom, but now I am paranoid about contracting an Herpes or the like. I took a shower as soon as I got home, but the net day I became worried and looked up information on std`s. One day after (actually less than 24 hours) sex the base of the shaft ( near the testicals) iches a bit and feels a bit irriatated. I don;t know if I should worry or if my mind is just messing with me. I didn`t see an outbreak, but as I have read that that does not matter im worried. Also, does skin on skin transmission of Herpes require there to be abrasions for transmissions? Thanks you for your assistence.

Answer:

To find out for certain whether or not you have genital Herpes Simplex infection, you should go see a physician. He or she may want to do a culture or other test, especially if there is a fresh lesion. If there are no lesions, you could have a blood test drawn that would suggest whether or not you have recently been infected with Herpes Simplex. Skin-on-skin transmission of herpes may occur to any skin site. The patients I have taken care of who complained about herpetic lesions outside of the genital area did not think they had had abrasions at the site of infection. I suspect that if there were an abrasion there, it would increase the chances of infection.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Lisa A Haglund, MD Lisa A Haglund, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine