Infectious Diseases

Joint swelling after treatment for Lymes

04/18/2005

Question:

I had a relapse of Lymes Disease and was given oral antibiotics for 6 weeks (originally diagnosed a little over two years ago and had Lymes for about 10 months before I was diagnosed). The first week after treatment ended many of my symptoms returned. My left elbow joint constantly hurts to this day. I was told these were all residual symptoms and everything would eventually subside. Three weeks later my elbow swelled and hasn`t gone completely down yet and still hurts and is sore to the touch(a month and a half later). Shouldn`t this swelling go away and shouldn`t the pain stop at some point. I`m right handed and it`s my left elbow that bothers me so I can`t go along with the fact that that joint is being overused. Thanks.

Answer:

I suggest that you go see your physician to help determine if your symptoms are due to Lyme disease or some other condition.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Peter D Walzer, MD Peter D Walzer, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine