Gum Diseases

GUM PROBLEMS

04/06/2005

Question:

I have a sore gum right at the back of my mouth well above my teeth, every day there is a build up of some kind and it turns into a white puss which explodes and leaves the mouth sore again. Its not spreading but just won`t go. Any ideas?

Answer:

You definitely need to see a dentist.  Presence of pus is a sign of inflammation. This may be coming from an abscess and/or cyst.  It may be originating from your teeth and/or from adjacent anatomical structures like your sinus, your salivary glands, etc. It can also originate from an impacted wisdom tooth.  A dentist needs to do a complete periodontal  and radiographic examination to determine the source of the infection.  He/she may need to refer you to a specialist depending on the severity of the problem and difficulty of the required treatment. 

It sounds like it is draining outside right now. But if you wait too long, the little opening may close down and you may end up having severe pain and swelling on your face.  I definitely recommend you seeing a dentist as soon as you can.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology