Myasthenia Gravis

Cellcept

04/19/2005

Question:

do u have an average dose of cellcept that u find works best? how do u dose a person and what has been the highest dose you have put someone on? could you also explain other than remission how much recovery do you look for and what makes you decide to start cutting back on treatments. thank you

Answer:

My average dose of Cellcept is 1000 mg twice per day. I have gone higher but never past 2000 mg BID. The dosing is based more on the transplant literature and uses of cellcept outside of neurology. I start out at 500 mg a day and increase each week by 500 mg to 1000 mg 2x/day. I usually do not start talking about decreasing immunosuppression until the patient has shown that their disease has not been active for an extended period (usually years). A slow tapering off of the immunosuppression can be tried with the caveat that the disease may return.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology