Vitrectomy and membranectomy or cataract surg

04/20/2005

Question:

I recently had a vitreotomy & a schleral buckle. The cellophane membrance has developed which now must be removed AND a cataract has developed, as was anticipated. My retinal doctor advises both the membrane and the cataract need to be removed and he thinks the cataract should be done first. He advised we cannot wait but my question is "if the vitrectomy and membranectomy also generate cataracts, why not do them first and then remove the cataract rather than doing that procedure over again?" also, what is the impact an implanted lens (from the cataract procedure) have on any future surgery? Thank you.

Answer:

I am not an eye surgeon; and I do not have enough clinical experience with cases such as yours to provide an educated answer to your question. If you have any doubts about your surgeon's proposed treatment plan, I would suggest a second opinion from another vitreo-retinal surgeon. There may be several confounding factors, and therefore, more than one acceptable approach in correcting your vision.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry