Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Skin Care and Diseases

Pigmentation problems



I am a black female and my butt is way darker than the rest of my body. Is there any think I could do to correct this?


I need to know a great deal more about your medical history to answer your question in depth.  If the pigmentation that is troublesome in one area of your body has been present since birth, then the lesion is probably what is known as a nevoid lesion.  That is to say, there is a congenital difference in the skin vs. the rest of your skin.  If on the other hand, there has been severe inflammation from infection, medical problems or drug therapy then the color problem is quite different.

In the United States, pigment that is confined to the epithelium and is not deposited in the deep part of the skin (dermis), the use of hydroquinone may lighten the skin.  These materials are usually 4% hydroquinone and may be combined with other medications, but they are all prescription items.  The use of monobenzoyl ether of hydroquinone will totally destroy color and should not be used to simply lighten the skin.

In any event remember that all of these medications are dispensed by prescription and should be given only un der the supervision of a physician.  I would suggest that you consult your Board certified Dermatologist since that individual whould have areas of special expertise in (1) diagnosis the process and (2) helping you with its care.


For more information:

Go to the Skin Care and Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Charles L Heaton, MD
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati