Excess skin sloughing from cheeks

05/12/2005

Question:

Hi. I have a problem with dead skin sloughing off inside my mouth on the insides of my cheeks. It seems to grow there overnight. I can easily scrape it off. It doesn`t hurt, but it makes me feel gross. I also always have an unpleasant taste in my mouth. My dentist says i have no dental problems.

Answer:

The problem that you describe sounds very much like a common reaction that is seen with the tartar-control and gel-type toothpastes. It is harmless, but many people find it annoying. By stopping the toothpaste, the condition clears up in a day or two. The problem is thought to be due to the increased levels of flavoring agents in these toothpastes, but if other products with a strong artificial flavor are used (such as breath fresheners), the reaction could also develop.

Another possibility is that you might have an oral yeast infection. This is also harmless but should be treated with antifungal medication. Should the problem occur again, you may need to be evaluated to find out why this has happened. If you are not using the oral products described above, or if the condition does not clear up after a day or two when the products are stopped, then you might want to see an oral pathologist for further evaluation.

American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial (AAOMP)

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology