Complementary Medicine

Are There Any Alternatives to Gallbladder Removal?

08/09/2005

Question:

I have gone through many tests for my gallbladder. The end result has been that the last thing done was a HIDA scan which showed an 8% ejection fraction. Two physicians have recommended surgery to remove my gallbladder, which I am not opposed to if there is no alternative. Do you know of any natural approaches that will actually get the gallbladder functioning properly? I have tried many things including diet changes (I am currently on a very limited simple diet--lots of plain cooked veggies, etc.), liver flushes, gold coin grass, and Ayurveda herbs. Everything has helped keep me pain free, but if I go off things or go back to eating any oil it comes back. I don`t want to just "manage" this for the rest of my life. For the past 30 years I have not been able to comfortably eat oils, so now this makes sense. If I could eat normally after 30 years (I am 54) I will gladly do the surgery. Thank you ahead for any ideas.

Answer:

Actually the sugars and starches in your diet are causing the liver bile stasis but the fats make you have the symptoms, therefore if you can eliminate all sugars and most starches you should be symptom free with modest fat consumption.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine