TREATMENT FOR LEUCODERMA DESEASE

07/25/2005

Question:

I AM LIVING IN INDIA SUFFERING FROM THIS DESEASE FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS, EARLIEAR IT WAS IN STABLE CONDITION BUT NOW IT HAS STARTED SPREADING THOUGH I HAVE NO FAMILY HISTORY OF THIS DESEASE, KINDLY HELP ME TO CURE IT.

Answer:

It is difficult to be very precise about your diagnosis since the term leukoderma simply means white skin.  In your country there are infectious diseases that may give rise to loss of skin color and then of course there are topical chemicals that destroy skin cells, many of those are still used for bleaching skin (hydroquinones) or you may have the disease, vitiligo.  The causes of vitiligo are not thoroughly understood although it does appear to be an immune attack by your body on pigment forming cells. 

There are a number of world class experts that might help you decide what to do, (James J. Nordlund, M.D., Email: jjnordlund@fuse.net).  However, I would urge you to seek the care of a dermatologist in one of the medical centers in your country.  They will understand the process and will make an accurate diagnosis and institute the therapy that is most likely to lead to improvement of your problem.

Good Luck!

Charles L Heaton, MD