Lump in Roof of Mouth

07/25/2005

Question:

I have recently discovered a large red hard lump (about the size of a grape) in the center of the roof of my mouth. It doesn`t really hurt but is annoying. I am experiencing pain pressure in the sinus area and foreheard and around eyes. I am having trouble with blurred vision and I feel like I have a stiff neck. I have been having trouble with swallowing at night for a while now. The area just behind the lump seems a little sore (it wasn`t at first). I`ve made a doctor`s appointment but they can`t see my till August 1st. Do you think I can wait that long? What is it? I am a smoker and have been since high school, I am a 58 year old female.

Answer:

There are several different conditions that can cause the type of problem that you are describing - some of these conditions are common and easily treated, while others are more serious. Ideally, you should see an oral and maxillofacial pathologist for evaluation as soon as possible. If there are no oral pathologists in your area, you may want to start with a general dentist so the teeth in the area of the bump can be examined.

It is difficult to say whether the blurred vision and stiff neck are related to the lump in the roof of your mouth, but if these symptoms get worse, you should go to an Emergency Room.

Find a Dentist

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology